About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm Kara, a mid 30's mum of one, teacher by day and mummy by night. I would say I am more slummy mummy than yummy mummy but I live in hope of my fairy godmother casting her wand! I am also a sister, a daughter, a godmother, an auntie, a wife and hopefully a good friend! Having spent more time lately reading blogs than studying current affairs or indulging in "chick lit" I thought I'd give it a go so here I am! I have been married to Mr D for 12 years now and we have been together since I was 14!!! Miss D came along in 2009 and life changed for the better from that day. I work a 4 day week as a tutor in Childcare and Education (sounds far posher than it is!) and spend the other 3 days being the best mummy I can be to my adorable daughter. I *LOVE* shopping, chatting, card making, scrapbooking, cooking and reading. I want to share some of the random thoughts that I have and the craziness of my life with you. I hope you enjoy what you read and if you don't........well I gave it a go!!!

Monday 11 July 2011

Where is it all going wrong?

A think I thought today was what is happening in the world?

I spend a lot of time in my job with young people and of late have been wondering what is happening to the youth of today. Ok so now I sound like an old granny but really some of the things I witness are truly shocking. Having spoken to friends and colleagues who also teach I know I am not alone in wondering this. When I started my job I thought delivering a vocational course would mean the people I came across wanted to learn, they had chosen a vocation and this course was their route to doing a job they care about and have a passion for. On reflection I think I was wrong!

Many people think that the subject I teach is an easy option; they won’t have to do much. WRONG! There is a whole load of theory alongside the practical.  Trying to explain why they have to understand the theory and what it has to do with the job they want to do is a whole other job in itself.

Then there is the issue of the “youth of today”.   Aggression, swearing, violence, rudeness, poor attitude and non attendance are all daily challenges in the classroom that teachers face.  This has recently been highlighted by stories in the press. Violence in schools doubles

Mobile phones are the bane of my life constant buzzing and vibrating disrupts every  teaching session.  I am all for embracing technology in the classroom, being able to access the internet on a phone is fantastic  -  research can be done from the classroom and you don’t lose students in the “library” but the disruption of calls and texts, facebook, pinging,  BB ing etc etc is just frustrating.

I believe this behaviour is a sad reflection of the society in which we now live.  You are not able to correct someone’s behaviour without fear of recrimination – students in classes are now more aware of their rights (which is not a bad thing) and they use this knowledge to their advantage.  There are no real consequences for their actions.  The threat of a disciplinary is not enough; they need real penalties for unacceptable behaviour.  I am all for students having rights but teachers have them too!

I hasten to add that this kind of behaviour is not from the majority of young people but it is disruptive and a lot of time is lost fire fighting or managing these people. I love my job, I love the subject I teach, I enjoy the feeling of helping someone achieve their goals and I love the end of year when all the hard work from everyone comes to fruition but when I went to college I went to learn. I didn’t dare answer back and unconditionally respected those who taught me. I just wonder what has happened to change the attitudes of people so much.  

What can be done? Answers on a postcard please!  

No comments:

Post a Comment